There is nothing worse as a parent than trying to keep children entertained at home when the weather’s bad. I know that often, we’d stick our coats on, put wellies on and go puddle jumping. If you can’t beat them, join them, after all. But, sometimes you just want somewhere to go and something to do that isn’t dependent on the weather.
So here are some ideas of things to do when it’s raining in Surrey – if you don’t want to wrap up and go outside to embrace it! There are so many indoor activities to enjoy in Surrey and a rainy day is the perfect excuse.
Things to do in Surrey on a rainy day
Libraries in Surrey
Libraries are a fantastic place to hide from the weather. With so many books and audiobooks for all ages, children will love snuggling in a corner to look at books for a while and you might even find some to borrow and take home too.
You can find your local library here and there are often special events on at local libraries too from storytime to music sessions and so much more too. Libraries are a real hub of the community and somewhere we often find ourselves when it’s raining.
Art Galleries and Museums in Surrey
Art galleries and museums are great for a mooch around when the weather isn’t at its best. Educational and with so much to see, they’re somewhere we love to spend time. Here are some options in Surrey – and many have special events on too.
Watts Gallery – Down Lane, Compton, Surrey GU3 1DQ
The Watts Gallery is dedicated to the work of the Victorian-era painter and sculptor George Frederic Watts
The Lightbox – Chobham Road, Woking, Surrey, GU21 4AA
Exhibitions, events, talks, child and adult workshops and permanent local history exhibitions.
Brooklands Museum – Brooklands Drive, Weybridge, Surrey KT13 0SL
Brooklands Museum is a motoring and aviation museum situated on part of the former Brooklands motor-racing track in Weybridge. Discover supersonic flight with Concorde and get up close to the aircraft designed, built and flown at Brooklands.
Surrey Heath Museum – 33 Obelisk Way, Camberley, Surrey GU15 3SG
A heritage museum hosting events and exhibits exploring local Surrey Heath history through the ages.
Guildford Museum – Castle Arch, Quarry Street, Guildford, Surrey GU1 3SX
Guildford Museum is the main museum of Guildford, situated by Guildford Castle grounds, and is home to a permanent collection of objects from Guildford and the surrounding Borough, dating from prehistoric times to the present day.
Mercedes Benz World – Brooklands Drive, Weybridge, Surrey KT13 0SL
There’s something for everyone at Mercedes-Benz World. Attractions include exhibitions and displays that give you an amazing insight into the heritage, innovation and engineering behind Mercedes-Benz. There are also hands-on Driving Experiences for adults and kids as well as Hot Laps, Passenger Rides and precision driving displays by the Silver Arrows Display Team.
Garden Centres in Surrey
Garden centres are lovely places to spend time and you can always stretch out a visit with a stop in a coffee shop or at soft play if the centre has one. Here are some options around Surrey.
Squires Garden Centres – Centres in Badshot Lea, Cobham, Frensham, Hersham, Long Ditton, Milford, Reigate, West Horsley and Woking
Fantastic garden centres with cafes and often other concessions stores too.
Longacres Garden Centres – London Road, Bagshot, Surrey, GU19 5JB
Garden centre with food hall, bakery, cafe and butchers.
Chessington Garden Centre – Leatherhead Road, Chessington KT9 2NG
Garden centre with farm shop, restaurant and butchers.
Theatres in Surrey
Going to the theatre is a great activity that the whole family will enjoy whatever the weather. Surrey has a lot of fantastic theatres to really make the most of so there is always bound to be something you’ll want to see.
- Rose Theatre – 24-26 High St, Kingston upon Thames KT1 1HL
- Dorking Halls – Reigate Road, Dorking, Surrey RH4 1SG
- New Victoria Theatre – The Peacocks Centre, Woking, Surrey GU21 6GQ
- Yvonne Arnaud Theatre – Millbrook, Guildford, Surrey GU1 3UX
- Harlequin Theatre – Warwick Road, Redhill, Surrey RH1 1NN
- Epsom Playhouse – 42 Ashley Avenue, Epsom, Surrey KT18 5AL
- G Live Guildford – London Road, Guildford, Surrey GU1 2AA
- Camberley Theatre – Knoll Road, Camberley, Surrey GU15 3SY
Cinemas in Surrey
Cinemas are another great way of passing time on a rainy day. With many offering reduced tickets on weekend and school holiday mornings and so many family friendly films to see, there will always be something to suit your family. Here are some cinema options in Surrey.
Vue – Camberley – Croydon – Staines
At Vue’s Mini Mornings you can see the best kids and family films from only £2.49 each. Mini Mornings run every Saturday and Sunday morning from 10am plus every day in the school holidays.
Odeon – Kingston – Epsom – Guildford
With special Odeon Kids screenings of the most spellbinding fairy tales and animated films, grown-ups pay kids’ ticket prices, making it a great value day out for the whole family.
Everyman – Esher – Oxted – Reigate – Walton – Horsham
Empire – Sutton
The Light Cinema – Addlestone
Leisure Centres in Surrey
Leisure centres are a great place to do something fun in the rain and we have so many around Surrey with fantastic facilities. No longer are leisure centres just a place to swim or workout, they now often have climbing, bowling and even roller skating sessions in them! Here are a few in Surrey to choose from:
Bowling – Swimming – Climbing – Ice Skating
Swimming – Inflata Zone – Soft Play
Swimming – Climbing – Soft Play
Swimming – Soft Play
Swimming – Soft Play
Swimming – Soft Play – Junior Gym (12-15)
Swimming – Junior Gym (11-15) – Junior Badminton – Trampolining
Trampolining – Soft Play
Swimming – Climbing – Soft Play
Trampoline Parks in Surrey
Trampolining is great fun and perfect for a wet weather day. We have a few trampoline parks in Surrey as well as the leisure centres above that often have trampolining classes too.
- Gravity Force – 6-7 Admiralty Way, Camberley, Surrey GU15 3DT
- AirHop – 10 Midleton Industrial Estate Road, Guildford, Surrey GU2 8XW
- Jump In Adventure Park – Unit A4, Royal Mills, Sandown Industrial Park, Mill Road, Esher, Surrey KT10 8BL
- Flip Out Croydon – Centrale Shopping Centre, Frith Road, Croydon, Surrey CR0 1TA
Soft Play and Indoor Play Centres in Surrey
Soft play and other indoor play centres are fantastic for children and are great for bad weather days too. We have so many great indoor activity hubs in Surrey from typical soft play centres to role play dressing up experiences.
Pirates Landing – The Atrium, Park Street, Camberley, Surrey GU15 3GP
A popular destination for the family! With two soft play zones, an under 4s play zone and a 4+ play zone as well as a coffee shop and plenty of seating.
Imagination – 28abc Princess Way, Camberley, Surrey GU15 3SP
Imagination is an interactive role play centre suitable for 0-7 year olds and consists of eight different play areas and a lovely cafe too.
The Ruby Play Cafe – 8 Park Street, Camberley, Surrey GU15 3PL
A cafe designed with parents and children in mind. Children have the chance to feel independence whilst feeling reassured that a parent can be seen at all times whilst parents can relax while their child plays.
Little Street – Frimley: Station Approach, Frimley, Surrey, GU16 7QH or West Byfleet: Unit 1, 42 Station Approach, West Byfleet, Surrey KT14 6NE
Little Street role play centres feature scaled down versions of typical towns, inspiring children to explore life in the world around them.
Kidabulous – Tollbridge House, Brooklands Close, Sunbury, TW16 7EH
Kidabulous is a fun and exciting indoor play area suitable for all children aged 12 years and under. Whenever you just want to get out of the house and let the kids burn off some energy in a safe environment – Kidabulous is just fabulous!
Meadowbank Soft Play – Mill Lane, Dorking, Surrey RH4 1LB
Three fantastic storeys of soft play designed to ignite the imagination in every child with many interactive features and an indoor cafe too.
Let’s Pretend – Bluebell Barn C, Priory Farm, Sandy Lane, Nutfield, Surrey, RH1 4EJ
Let’s Pretend is a Role Play experience for young children where they can explore ten different play areas and let their imaginations run wild. There’s a Supermarket, a Café, Farm, Vets, Doctors, Construction Site, Theatre and Salon plus a sensory area the younger ones and a cafe too.
Wacky Kingdom – The Belfry, Station Road, Redhill, Surrey RH1 1ST
Wacky Kingdom is a fun and exciting indoor play area suitable for all children aged 12 years and under. It’s a great place to get out of the house and let the kids burn off some energy in a safe environment.
Piglets – Burhill Road, Hersham, Surrey, KT12 4BJ
Welcome to Piglets. Set in acres of beautiful greenbelt, there are purpose built indoor and outdoor facilities designed for children’s play and for adults to relax. There are even child friendly farm animals and a fantastic cafe too.
Let’s Explore – 59/61 Brighton Road, Horley, Surrey RH6 7HJ
Let’s Explore is Surrey’s latest soft play for kids aged up to ten who love to laugh and learn. There are three exciting worlds to discover – under the sea, jungle and space – and each themed zone is cleverly designed to keep your children entertained, engaged and zinging with energy!
Rascals – Motspur Park: The Pavilion, Sir Joseph Hood Memorial Park, Marina Avenue, Motspur Park, Surrey KT3 6NE or Epsom: The Second Floor, Ebbisham Centre, 7 Derby Square, Epsom, Surrey KT19 8AG
Rascals Soft Play is a family run children’s playcentre offering a safe, fun and friendly environment for children up to five years of age. Plus a lovely cafe to enjoy too.
The Play Cafe at Sandown Park – More Lane, Esher, Surrey KT10 8AN
The Play Cafe isn’t just about your little ones – it’s a fresh and modern space that appeals to parents and carers too! There’s a soft play for under fives and a great cafe to enjoy.
Kidspace – The Colonnades, 619 Purley Way, Croydon, Surrey CR0 4RQ
Huge indoor play area with slides, a climbing wall and go karts over four levels, plus its own pizzeria. Kids up to 12 will have a great time.
Pottery Painting in Surrey
Pottery painting is a fantastic activity for the whole family, especially on a rainy day. Children of all ages will love it and it’s so nice to have something to take away with you afterwards – or pick up a few days later when it’s been fired! Here are some of the Surrey pottery painting destinations.:
- Fired Frog Pottery Cafe – 3 Hermitage Road, St Johns, Woking, Surrey GU218TE
- Ceramics Cafe – 13 Downing Street, Farnham, Surrey GU9 7PB
- Appletree Studio – 5 Bishopsmead Parade, East Horsley, Surrey KT24 6RT
- Kate Creative – 1 Monopoly Barn, West Park Road, Newchapel, Lingfield, Surrey RH7 6HT
- Grayshott Pottery – School Road, Grayshott, Hindhead, Surrey GU26 6LR
- Happy Glaze Ceramics – 41 Waterloo Rd, Epsom, Surrey KT19 8EX
- Paint Your Own Ceramics – 66 South Street, Dorking, Surrey RH4 2HD
- Mrs Potts Place – 18 Obelisk Way, Camberley, Surrey GU15 3SD
Bowling in Surrey
Bowling is one of our go-to activities for a rainy day – although we don’t have that many bowling alleys in Surrey. Here are the few to choose from.
- Guildford Spectrum – Parkway, Guildford, Surrey GU1 1UP
- Ten Pin – Kingston: The Rotunda, Kingston upon Thames, Surrey KT1 1QJ, Camberley: No 8, The Atrium, Park St, Camberley, Surrey GU15 3GP or Croydon: Valley Park Leisure Centre, Hesterman Way, Croydon, Surrey CR0 4YA
- Hollywood Bowl – Kingston Road, Tolworth, Surrey KT5 9PB
Laser Tag in Surrey
Laser Tag is a great activity for older children – and their parents – even on a rainy day. Here are the indoor laser tag sites across Surrey:
- Laser Quest – Flip Out Croydon, Centrale Shopping Centre, Frith Road, Croydon, Surrey CR0 1TA
- The Big Apple – Crown Square, Woking, Surrey GU21 6HR
- Ten Pin Sector 7 Laser Tag – No 8 The Atrium, Park Street, Camberley, Surrey GU15 3GP
Climbing Centres in Surrey
Climbing is another great family activity perfect for when the weather isn’t great and we have so many centres across the county – plus those included in the leisure centres above. Here are some indoor centres for your next rainy day excursion.
- Surrey Sports Park – University of Surrey, Richard Meyjes Road, Guildford, Surrey GU2 7AD
- Craggy Island Climbing Centres – Guildford: Unit 9 Cobbett Park, Slyfield Industrial Estate, Moorfeld Road, Guildford, Surrey GU1 1RU or Sutton: Oaks Sports Centre, Woodmansterne Road, Carshalton,
Surrey SM5 4AN
- White Spider – 225 Hook Rise South, Surbiton, Surrey KT6 7LD
Shopping Centres in Surrey
Shopping centres are a great place to spend time, especially in wet weather. You can wander round the shops, grab some lunch and there are often organised activities and events in to make the most of as well. Here are some around Surrey:
- The Square – 5-6 The Square, Camberley, Surrey GU15 3SL
- The Friary – North Street, Guildford, Surrey GU1 4YT
- Bentall Centre – Wood Street, Kingston Upon Thames, Surrey KT1 1TP
- Woking Shopping Centre – Woking, Surrey, GU21 6GH
- The Heart Shopping Centre – Walton-on-Thames, Surrey KT12 1GH
- The Ashley Centre – Ashley House Annexe, Ashley Road, Epsom, Surrey KT18 5AB
- Swan Shopping Centre – Leatherhead, Surrey KT22 8AH
- The Belfry – Redhill, Surrey, RH1 1ST
- Church Walk – Station Avenue, Caterham, Surrey CR3 6HY
- Centrale and Whitgift Centre – 21 North End, Croydon, Surrey CR0 1TY
I hope that’s given you some inspiration when it comes to the next rainy weekend to fill. There’s so much to do in Surrey but I know it’s easy to focus on the big days out and nice weather activities without giving much thought to the rainy days.
If all else fails, and you still can’t think of things to do in Surrey this weekend in the rain, wrap up warm and go and splash in puddles before warming up with a hot chocolate afterwards. Failing that, snuggle up at home, play board games and watch movies together. Rainy days are some of our cosiest!