This was my first attempt at making a lasagne in the slow cooker but it will definitely be the first attempt of many. I don’t cook vegetarian meals very often either but love spinach and ricotta in cannelloni so thought it might go well in a lasagne too. This Slow Cooker Spinach and Ricotta Lasagne is great served with a side salad and garlic bread.
We use a large 6 litre slow cooker but if your slow cooker is smaller you can reduce the quantities or have a deeper lasagne
- 1kg ricotta cheese
- 700g frozen spinach, defrosted and excess water squeezed out.
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 130g parmesan cheese, grated
- 1kg passata or sieved tomatoes
- 130g green pesto
- dried lasagne pasta sheets
- 150g grated mozzarella
- In a bowl mix the spinach, ricotta, eggs and half the parmesan cheese.
- In another bowl mix the passata and pesto.
- Lightly grease the slow cooker pot and ladle the passata sauce onto the bottom to have a thin even layer – this was two large ladles for us. Add a layer of pasta.
- Spoon some of the cheese mix to create a thin even layer followed by another layer of sauce and then pasta. Repeat until the cheese and sauce are used up – finishing with the sauce.
- Mix the rest of the parmesan with the mozzarella and sprinkle over the top of the lasagne.
- Turn the slow cooker onto low and cook for 4 hours until nicely browned and the pasta is cooked.