If you are looking for a slow cooker curry that is packed with flavour, leaves the meat really tender and is perfect for cooking in bulk and freezing then this Lamb Rogan Josh could be the perfect recipe for you! There’s a simple way of making this into a beef or chicken curry at the end too – happy experimenting. You really can’t go wrong with this recipe and it’s as good as a takeaway – but a hell of a lot cheaper! This may be why it’s one of our most loved slow cooker recipes.
Can I make Beef Rogan Josh instead of Lamb Rogan Josh?
You can substitute the lamb in this lamb curry recipe for beef and change the lamb stock to beef stock – just as nice! It’s a family favourite meal and so nice served with naan and poppadoms. Even the children really enjoy it and the flavours infuse wonderfully in the slow cooker. It’s also great for batch cooking and freezing for a tasty meal when you’re short of time.
Curries are amazing in the slow cooker as the longer you cook them for the more flavour they get plus, if you freeze them and use later they seem to get even more flavour still.
You can turn this into a beef rogan josh by switching the lamb for beef and the lamb stock for beef stock. You could even make slow cooker chicken rogan josh with chicken thighs and chicken stock – it’s such a simple and adaptable recipe. You can even add vegetables if you’re feeling adventurous.
This is our go-to curry for the whole family and even the children love it. The lamb rogan josh is a great recipe for a midweek dinner when you’re short of time – it can be put on in the morning and then done when you’re ready for dinner and the flavours just keep improving whilst it’s slow cooking.
So here is my Slow Cooked Lamb Rogan Josh Recipe – Happy Cooking!
Slow Cooker Lamb Rogan Josh Recipe
- Spray oil
- 750 g diced lamb
- 2 onions
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2.5 cm fresh root ginger peeled and chopped (although I use this – (a teaspoon of) so much easier!)
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 2 reaspoons cumin seeds roughly crushed
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed dried chillies
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 400 g can chopped tomatoes
- 300 ml lamb stock
- 4 tablespoons creme fraiche
- Heat a frying pan and spray with oil. Add the lamb and fry until browned. Transfer to the slow cooker pot with a slotted spoon.
- Add the onions to the frying pan and fry until softened. Stir in the garlic, ginger, spices and dried chillies and cook for a couple of minutes. Stir in the flour and then add the tomatoes and stock. Bring to the boil whilst stirring.
- Pour the mixture over the lamb in the slow cooker pot and cook on low for 8-10 hours.
- Just before serving stir in the creme fraiche.