Aside from presents and Christmas dinner, the main thing anyone thinks about for Christmas is the tree. We have had artificial ones for a few years but do also get real ones from time to time – and it’s always such a lovely part of Christmas. Choosing the tree together as a family, taking it home, decorating it and often having a celebratory meal or hot chocolate afterwards.
But, it can be hard to know where to get a Christmas tree from. With costs rising in every aspect of our lives, it’s good to shop around and there are more Christmas tree options than you may realise across Surrey and the surrounding areas.
What Christmas tree should you get?
When looking for a real Christmas tree there are so many options and they all have pros and cons. You might want the sturdiest, longest lasting tree or you might want one that looks like it’s right from the front of a Christmas card. Whatever style you are looking for there is bound to be a tree for you.
- Nordman Fir are the most popular Christmas tree in the UK with great needle retention.
- Norway Spruce is what we think of as the traditional Christmas tree across the country with that lovely Christmas tree best shape.
- Blue Spruce are beautiful dark green to powdery blue trees.
- Fraser Fir have the strongest branches that will hold up well with ornaments and great needle retention.
- Balsam Fir are very rare in the UK and not trees we see very often but they smell just like Christmas.
- Canaan Fir has that lovely Christmas fragrance and good needle retention.
- Scotch Pine is a dark green/blueish-green colour with a lovely festive smell.
Where to get the best Christmas trees in Surrey
I have tried to include as many options for buying Christmas trees as I can across Surrey, from Christmas tree farms to garden centres and pop up stalls. There are also many places that you know of already – the supermarkets, DIY stores and street corner stalls that you resort to when you’ve left the Christmas tree search a little bit late. Those ones I haven’t included on the list.
But, I have given a good range of Christmas tree farm Surrey options and places where you can get Christmas trees delivered as well as buying off the shelf pre cut Christmas trees. Like with everything, the information is correct at the time of writing, please do click through to each official website to get up to date details and any special offers.
Christmas Tree Farms Surrey
A great festive activity is going to choose a Christmas tree and it’s lovely being able to go and pick one freshly cut from a Christmas tree farm. There are, surprisingly, quite a few Surrey Christmas tree farms and many have extra activities and events on in the run up to Christmas like seeing Father Christmas, seeing light shows or even feeding reindeer.
Here are our top choices for farms to get Christmas trees Surrey:
Where: Guildford Road, Shamley Green, Guildford, Surrey GU5 0SQ
When: Various times/dates from 20th November to 23rd December.
Visit Santa Fir Christmas Tree Farm for a fun-filled Christmas experience for all the family! Meet Father Christmas, say hello to his reindeer, go on a horse and carriage ride and browse the local produce market.
Where: New Haw Road, Addlestone, Nr. Weybridge, Surrey KT15 2BU
When: From 25th November 2023 with the ability to cut your own tree on selected dates
Unless you are cutting your own tree, all trees are displayed on spikes so you can make sure you’re happy with it from every angle. Once you’ve chosen a tree, staff will bag it for you ready to take home.
Where: Warren Lane, Liss GU33 7DF
When: 25th November to 22nd December 2023
A full festive experience! Pick your own Christmas tree, enjoy their Enchanted Nights and take part on a Après Tree Party, buy festive gifts in the shop, post your letter to Father Christmas and so much more!
Where: Christmas Tree Farm, Ottershaw KT16 0PJ
When: 29th November 2023 to 23rd December 2023
Nothing comes close to a traditional Christmas tree for a real family Christmas. The Christmas tree farm has all different types of Christmas trees, including Norway Spruce, Nordmann’s, Fraser, Douglass and Blue Spruce. They also sell tree stands, logs and Christmas wreaths along with friendly and helpful service.
Where: Milford Road, Elstead, Surrey GU8 6LA
When: 24 November 2023 – 23rd December 2023
They sell quality Christmas trees ranging from 3ft to over 30ft which are mainly grown on the farm in Surrey. Trees are available during the Christmas season and throughout the year for photoshoots and promotions.
Where: Farnham GU10 4LS
When: Thursday 23rd November until Tuesday 19th December 2023
Alice Holt Christmas Trees is set in the heart of the forest where the spirit of Christmas comes alive and offering some of the finest quality Christmas trees in the area.
Where: Dean House Farm, Church Road, Newdigate, Surrey RH5 5DL
When: 26th November 2023 – 24th December 2023
Dig or cut your own Christmas tree up to 6ft and pre-cut Nordmans and Norway Spruce trees are also available up to 10ft. They also have a selection of wreaths and Christmas tree stands in various colours and sizes available on a first come, first served basis.
Christmas Trees from Garden Centres and Farm Shops
Garden centres and farm shops are another great choice for Christmas trees. As we all know, garden centres do vary massively but our favourite ones have vast Christmas departments in store so that you can pick up decorations and gifts as well as getting your Christmas tree.
Here are some of our favourite garden centres for Christmas trees across Surrey:
- Ripley Nurseries – Portsmouth Rd, Ripley, Surrey GU23 6EY
- Farm Shop Lyne Christmas Trees – Hardwick Lane, Lyne, Chertsey Surrey KT16 0AA
- Ashtead Park Garden Centre – Ashtead Garden Centre, Pleasure Pit Road, Ashtead, Surrey KT21 1HU
- Elm Nursery – Sutton Green Road, Sutton Green, Guildford GU4 7QD
- Longacres Garden Centre – London Road, Bagshot, Surrey GU19 5JB
Christmas tree delivery Surrey
You may not have a vehicle to transport a Christmas tree so, often, getting one online or from a local store who can deliver is a more convenient option. Here are some home delivery Christmas tree options in Surrey:
- Santa Trees – Locally grown in Farnham. Free delivery – by elves! £5 off your order if you sign up to their mailing list.
- Surrey Xmas Trees – Home delivery and pop up shops in Surbiton too.
- Castle Street Flowers – Free delivery to postcodes GU9, GU10, GU11, GU12, GU34 & GU35. Chargeable outside of those areas. Click & Collect also available.
- Christmas Trees – Guildford – Free home delivery
Other places to buy Christmas trees this year:
- Chilworth Manor – Halfpenny Lane, Chilworth GU4 8NN – Weekends, 2nd to 10th December.
- 4th Ewell (Nonsuch) Scout Group – Nonsuch Hall, 1 Bluegates, London Road, Ewell, Surrey KT17 2SA – Fri, Sat, Sun from 1st December to 10th December
I hope that helps with your Christmas tree search this year. I’m sure your finished tree will look beautiful and I hope, when the time comes, that you have a wonderful Christmas.
If you’re looking for more festive inspiration these articles might be useful: