You need mince pies of some description at Christmas and this year I made little Mince Tarts. The easiest way to make Mince Pies or Tarts is to buy ready made pastry and a jar of mincemeat, stick it all together, cook it, and done! If you’d like to make the pastry yourself, here’s a little recipe.
I used a shallow yorkshire pudding tin to make the tarts but you could use a muffin tin or similar to make deeper fill mince pies.
Preparation Time: 30 Minutes Cooking Time: 15 Minutes
- 200g plain flour
- 100g butter
- 25g icing sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 2-3 tbsp milk
- 300g mincemeat
- 1-2 tbsp granulated sugar
- Preheat oven to 180c/Gas Mark 4. Grease your chosen tin with butter.
- Sift the flour into a bowl and rub in the butter until the mixture looks like breadcrumbs.
- Stir in the icing sugar and egg yolk and add the milk until a soft dough is formed.
- Put the dough on a floured surface and kneed gently until smooth.
- Make the dough into a ball and roll out to 1cm thick.
- Cut circles from the dough using a round cutter and press lightly into the holes of your tin.
- Put a large spoonful of mincemeat in each pastry case leaving room for it to expand when cooking.
- Cut star shapes from the leftover dough and place on top.
- Brush the tops of the mince pies with milk and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake for approx 15 minutes or until browned.