Just before Christmas we were sent a wonderful hamper of goodies from Baking Mad to inspire us to get in the kitchen and bake. Because of the Christmas build up it took me until just after Christmas to actually start baking but LP helped and we had a great time!
Baking Mad has a huge selection of recipes that are great for any occasion and so many different versions of the same recipe too so you can find a classic with a twist or even something completely different. I used the Baking Mad website to create some of their Mince Pies which turned out fantastically!
At the same time though I took the opportunity to make something that I have wanted to try for a while – Sponge Topped Mince Pies. For these you can either make the pastry and mincemeat yourself or you can cheat for an easy treat and use ready made pastry and mincemeat, making the sponge topping yourself. Here’s a simple recipe if you want the easier, cheating version but if you want to create the pastry and mincemeat yourself take a look at the Baking Mad Mince Pie recipe and just add the sponge top below!
Sponge Topped Mince Pies
- Ready made shortcrust pastry
- 100g self raising flour
- 35g margarine
- 35g sugar
- 1 egg
- 60ml milk
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6
- Roll out the pastry and cut circles big enough to line a deep muffin tray
- Fill each pastry case two thirds full with mincemeat
- Rub together the flour and margarine to create breadcrumbs and mix in the sugar, egg and milk
- Top each pastry case with cake mixture and cook in the oven for 15-20 minutes or until well risen and browned