This may be the nicest cake I have ever baked. I don’t know whether it’s because I bothered to ice it and make it look pretty or that the sponge was so moist and full of flavour – it couldn’t have been nicer. This was based on a recipe for ginger cake but any regular readers know I really don’t need any more ginger in my life so I went for orange instead. Here’s our recipe for this lovely Frosted Orange Cake.
Frosted Orange Cake
- 175g margarine
- 175g caster sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 tbsp black treacle
- 1 tbsp orange essence
- 225g self raising flour
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- 20g ground almonds
- 2 tbsp milk
- silver balls to decorate
- 225g icing sugar
- 1tsp orange essence
- Preheat the oven 160C/325F/Gas Mark 3 and line a square baking tin with baking paper.
- Mix the eggs, treacle and orange essence in a jug and sift the flour into a bowl
- Cream the margarine and sugar in a bowl before alternating adding a bit of the egg mixture and a bit of the flour until you have one cake mix.
- Add the almonds and milk and mix until combined.
- Spoon the mix into the cake tin and bake for 50 minutes until nicely risen and browned. Leave to cool completely.
- Make the icing by adding the orange essence to the icing sugar and gradually adding a little water until you get a nice thick icing. Pour over the cake and add silver balls.