To celebrate the Queen’s 90th Birthday Kitchenways launched a fantastic competition all about bakes fit for the Queen. With the competition you can win a dream break in London or runner up prizes of Kitchenways gift vouchers.
I love a competition, and I love baking, so when I heard about this chance to win I had to go and get my bake on! I wanted to create something that the children would love that also had a royal twist and in the end we decided on a Union Jack Cake – a sponge cake topped with Union Flag fruit.
If you would like to make this cake for yourself, here’s the recipe – I worked from my Never Fail Cupcake recipe – great if you’re not that good at making a sponge!
- 4 eggs
- 240g self raising flour
- 240g caster sugar
- 240g butter
- 1 tablespoon vanilla essence
- 400g buttercream icing
- Preheat the oven to 180 and grease a square cake tin – I used this one from Kitchenways.
- Mix all the ingredients together and pour into the prepared tin.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until nicely browned and a skewer comes out clean from the middle.
- Leave to cool fully and turn out from the tin.
- Cover with buttercream icing and decorate with the fruit.
If you would like to enter the Kitchenways competition just start by creating your own royal bake. When you have a creation fit for the Queen, enter on Facebook, Twitter or Instagram tagging @Kitchenways and using the #FitForAQueen hashtag. Good luck! You can find full details here.
Disclosure:I was sent the above product to use in this post however all opinions are my own.