Like most people, I like to cheat where I can in the kitchen. Being a fan of bread and butter pudding for literally my whole life, I had a loaf of brioche to use up and so created this easy peasy cheats brioche bread and butter pudding made with ready made custard.
- 250g sliced brioche, croissants etc
- 50g mixed dried fruit
- Tin ready made custard
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6
- Put a layer of brioche in the bottom of an oven dish, sprinkle over a handful of dried fruit and then adding another layer of brioche, repeating until the dish is full.
- Pour the custard into a jug and add 100ml water. Mix and pour slowly over the brioche until it has all been soaked up.
- Bake in the oven for 30 minutes or until browned.
- You can add a dusting of chocolate powder, grated chocolate, cinnamon or brown sugar before serving.
This cheats brioche bread and butter pudding is the perfect winter dessert, great for when you have friends or family round and so lovely and warming with all the flavours of the season. It’s easily a family favourite and so easy to make with ready made custard, dried fruit and leftover brioche. You can also make lovely variations of this with just a few tweaks – cranberry and orange zest for a festive feel, chocolate orange for a more indulgent version or really whatever flavour you feel like at the time.
With just three real ingredients, desserts don’t get much simpler than this and it’s something we make all year round – as a homely family dessert to something we can serve after a more important meal – even on Christmas day. But, our favourite time to have it is after Sunday lunch – the perfect end to a big family meal.