*This is a collaborative guest post
A planner can be a way to stay organised and effectively manage your time. It becomes an extension of your personality with customised pages, a personalised cover and chosen inserts that reflect your style.
Whether you love to create your own calendar or prefer ordering a personalised calendar, regular use can cause your beloved planner to look worn out and dirty over time. That’s why it’s crucial to give your planner care and attention.
Here are some tips on how to clean and maintain your planner so that it continues to serve you well:
Cleaning the Cover and Inserts
The cover of your planner is the first thing people notice, setting the tone for your organisational style and often featuring your name or a custom design. To keep it looking clean, it is best to follow these steps:
1. Remove any inserts or accessories:
Before cleaning the cover, take out any inserts like notebooks or sticky notes, as well as any clips or bookmarks that may be attached. This will prevent them from getting damaged during the cleaning process.
2. Take care of stains:
If you notice any stains on your planner cover, like ink marks or spills, you can use a detergent or stain remover made explicitly for fabric to spot-clean them. Apply the cleaner onto a cloth and gently rub the stained area. Before proceeding, it’s always a good idea to test the cleaner on an inconspicuous area first to ensure it won’t cause discolouration or damage.
3. Clean the cover:
Once you’ve addressed any stains, use a cloth to wipe down the cover and remove any accumulated dirt or dust. Be mindful not to use moisture as it might harm the cover material or cause warping.
4. Ensure drying:
After cleaning, allow the cover to air dry completely before reinserting inserts or accessories. This precaution will help prevent moisture-related issues, like mould or mildew, from developing inside your planner.
Cleaning the Pages and Tabs
The interior of your planner is where you keep track of your schedule, jot down notes, and organise your life. To maintain fresh-looking pages, consider following these tips:
1. Rid dirt and debris:
Over time, there’s a chance that dust particles, food crumbs and other debris may accumulate between the pages and tabs of your planner.
To ensure your personalised planner stays in good condition, here are some steps you can take:
- Gently tap the planner against a surface to remove any particles. If there is debris, you can use a brush or a can of compressed air for better removal.
- If you notice any stains on the pages or tabs spot, clean them with a cleaning solution. Take a cloth dampened with the solution and gently rub the area. Testing the cleaning solution on an inconspicuous area is always wise to avoid any potential discolouration or damage.
- When dealing with custom inserts that feature designs or patterns, avoid using cleaning solutions that contain bleach or strong chemicals, as they may cause ink fading or distortion. Stick to abrasive products instead, and remember to test them on a small area before proceeding.
- After cleaning, leave the planner open for some time so the pages can fully dry. This will prevent any smudging or bleeding of ink onto pages.
To keep your planner in shape for more extended periods, here are some additional tips:
- Make sure to store your planner:
When not using it, find a dry spot away from direct sunlight. Extended exposure to sunlight can cause the cover and pages to fade, while high humidity can lead to mould or mildew growth.
- Be mindful of force:
While using your planner is important, avoid applying too much pressure when flipping through pages or opening and closing the rings. Excessive force can cause the rings to misalign or the pages to tear.
- Consider using covers or sleeves:
Consider using removable protective covers or plastic sleeves to give your planner an extra layer of protection. These will help safeguard the cover and pages from dirt, spills and general wear and tear.
Taking care of your planner is crucial for maintaining its fresh appearance and functionality. By following these cleaning and maintenance suggestions, you can keep your planner in good condition and use it as a reliable tool for managing your time and staying organised. Enjoy planning!